We would like to inform you about a vulnerability in ZoneAlarm 6.
ZoneAlarm insufficiently protects its driver \Device\vsdatant against a manipulation by malicious applications and it
fails to validate its input buffer. It is possible to open the driver's device and send arbitrary data to it, which are
implicitly believed to be valid. It is possible to assemble the data in the input buffer such that the driver performs
an invalid memory operation and crashes the whole operating system. Further impacts of this bug (like arbitrary code
execution in the kernel mode) were not examined.
* ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5.737.000
* ZoneAlarm Pro 6.1.744.001
* probably all versions of ZoneAlarm products branches 6.x
* possibly older versions of ZoneAlarm products
Not vulnerable software:
* ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.302.000 and higher
* probably all versions of ZoneAlarm products branches 7.x and higher
More details and a proof of concept including its source code are available here:
Matousec - Transparent security Research